The CPHR Experience Requirement is a formal step in earning one’s CPHR designation requiring candidates to demonstrate three or more years of professional experience in human resources within the last ten years.
Experience has always been an integral component in achieving one’s CPHR designation. This requirement simply asks HR practitioners to demonstrate their ability to apply the knowledge and skills gained from their formal education and experience to a workplace environment. HR practitioners need to demonstrate that they have worked in a position (or positions) that require a cultivated knowledge and a professional level of responsibility in HR for a minimum of three years. Additionally, experience must have been gained within the last ten years.
HR practitioners can work toward the Experience Requirement in any sector of the economy: industry, government, public practice, professional associations, education, healthcare, or not-for-profits – essentially anywhere that has a human resources management function.
Process to Apply to Meet the Experience Requirement (PDF)
Next Submission Period - February 27, 2017 to March 8, 2017
The next submission period dates are February 27 to March 7, 2017. Applications are only accessed during a submission period. All applications must be received by 12:00 noon on March 8, 2017. Late applications are not permitted, regardless of circumstance.
How to Apply to Meet the Experience Requirement
- Must be a certification candidate in good standing with HRANS. (i.e., passed the NKE within specific period and no lapse in dues/membership. HRANS must have a record of your current candidate status.)
- Order an official transcript from your educational institution to confirm that you meet the Degree Requirement. The transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to HRANS and must be received by the stated date within the submission period (if you have already had a transcript sent to us, you DO NOT need to have another one sent)
- Complete all areas of the Experience Assessment Application Form in Excel (click here to access the excel file)
- When completing the application form, refer to the Key Considerations document for instructions on what to include in each section of the form. (your information must fit within the space provided) Once complete, print the entire form and sign both areas on the Member Declaration Page.
- Provide a full copy of your application to your current official supervisor and have them attest to the Employer Verification as it pertains to your current experience with their organization/company.
- Photocopy all pages of the application, including Member Declaration and Employer Verification, for your records.
- Send the originally signed application form, a copy of your current resume (chronological format only with a brief description of each HR related position and start and end dates), job description(s), and payment. The original package must be received by HRANS within the stated submission period .
Note re: Job Descriptions: If any of the positions you are claiming are combined roles and not exclusively HR, or if part of the role is at the HR professional level and part at the HR administrative level, you must also handwrite on the job description the percentage of time allocated to each responsibility (do not retype the job description, simply note it clearly beside each responsibility). Required at time of submission for combined roles or HR roles with mixed levels of responsibility only.
Costs (for March 2017 submission period)
The overall cost to apply to meet the Experience Requirement in NS and PEI is $550 plus HST, payable in two installments (both cheques must be submitted with application):
- $250 plus HST payable by cheque with application ($287.50) (non-refundable)
- $300 plus HST submitted with application ($345.00) (only cashed if outcome of application is successful)
(prices subject to change)
** Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will not be assessed.
** Electronic, fax or email, submissions are not permitted. Original documents must be received by the submission deadline, regardless of circumstance.** (do not submit electronic copies)
Other Logistical Information
Results of Assessments: Results are normally communicated to applicants within 45-60 days of the close of the submission period, unless additional information is requested from the application which will result in a longer assessment period.
Acknowledgement of Receipt of Application: After the submission period closes, a confirmation of receipt email will be sent to the applicants.
Inquiries on the status of individual applications cannot be processed. Once the outcome of the application is known, communication is sent to the member. Staff will not be able to provide updates on the status in the interim stages of the process as the applications are reviewed by a committee of senior HR professionals that hold the CPHR who are volunteering their time. Staff do not assess the applications.
Appeal of Outcome of Application
Appeals must be received by HRANS within 30 days of the date of the outcome letter.
Frequently Asked Questions (updated August 12, 2015)
Page Updated: February 15, 2017